Saturday, April 5, 2008

Grandpa Barney

Memories of Grandpa Barney are many, but here are a few that stand out. I remember him giving money to someone who was in need even though he wasn’t a rich man himself. I remember him giving watermelons away when he could make more by selling them. I remember learning to pick watermelons on summer mornings and him splitting one open for us every now and then to eat the heart out of. I remember learning how to start an irrigation pipe and being so proud of myself when I could final get one to work. I remember horseback rides and milking cows. I remember him letting us drive his truck on the farm. I remember his pet tarantulas and having one thrown on me once. I remember his silly camp songs like “Catalina Magdalena,” “Boom, Boom Ain’t it Great to Be Crazy,” and “Pile of Tin.” Most of all I remember the man he was. The love he always shared, and the joy and humor he brought to life even when there was work to be done. He was a great man who was loved and will truly be missed.

1 comment:

Grandma Edington said...

Cindy, thank you for your memories of Grandpa Barney. I identified with each of those memories as I share in those same kinds of experiences that you had. I remember getting in really big trouble when a lady gave me money for watermelons. I told her I did not want to take it but she kept insisting that I take it and give it to my dad when she left. When I gave it to him I got the "We don't accept money for the watermelons lecture 101". I felt really bad especially because I never wanted to take the money in the first place. From then on I made sure I was never around someone when they tried to pay Grandpa for watermelons.