Sunday, January 26, 2014

Leaving for the MTC







After finally dropping into bed at 11:00 last night I thought I would fall right to sleep because I was so tired, but not me.  I stayed awake most of the night.  I think I must have dozed for a while from about 2:00 to 4:00 but I'm not sure.  Up again at 5:00.  Pop tart, apple and sparkling cider for breakfast.  (Cider left from Christmas that we never got around to drinking and figured now or never.)

Kevin and Kim got to our house at 5:50 and we left just after 6:00.  I am still not sure reality has set in yet.

Checking
in at the airport was a breeze for me.  I do not understand why but my ticket was selected for pre boarding so I did not have to take off my boots just my heavy coat.  (Yes I found out I could take my boots). It made going through security a breeze.

Dad on the other hand, had an exciting adventure.  His belt buzzed, then his coat, his wallet and even his new jacket had something in it that triggered the alarm.  He had to go through time and time again.  I was not sure if they were going to let him through without stripping down to his unmentionables.  So much for excitement.

Take off went well with only minor motion sickness on my part.  I do okay as long as I don't look out the window too much and pretend I am sitting in a car.  I really am not afraid to fly at all, I just get queasy with the movement.

Soda or juice and a cookie, peanuts or pretzels.  That should go well with breakfast.  I chose Sprite (hope it helps settle my stomach) and the cookie.  Dalen chose sprite and peanuts.

Turbulence - now that is an interesting experience.  A bit bumpy.  Going into Salt Lake Airport in a smaller plane is interesting in and of itself.  You hear and feel the landing gear as it comes down.  I thinks landings are not my favorite thing but it sure beats the alternative. (Crashing).

I have decided airports are places where you wait for everything.  It took more than 20 min. after we landed to get to the terminal so we could leave the plane only to wait in line to find out where to wait for the shuttle.  I think I am in trouble.  When we leave for Africa we will have some major layovers with some major wait time.

The trip to the MTC is beautiful.  The mountains are so rugged and so beautiful with lots of snow.  I am glad I do not have to drive though, because I have know idea how to get where we are going.

The MTC is incredible.  The people are so friendly, helpful and so out going.  The food is fantastic.  I just have to be careful or I will gain a ton.

Every where we go Senior missionaries are treated like VIP's by everyone including the young missionaries.  Maybe it is just the "deer in the headlights affect."  (I sure have a greater understanding of that saying after today.)
.

No comments: